PTSD Counseling Marietta GA
Are you living with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)? PTSD can occur in children, teens, and adults who have experienced trauma. If so, you may be looking for trauma therapy in Marietta, GA.
Our therapists are experienced in helping people manage and cope with the effects of trauma. Trauma therapy can be extremely beneficial in helping you manage your symptoms and improve your quality of life.
There are many different types of trauma therapy available, so it is essential to find one that will best meet your needs. This page will share more about our trauma therapy services and help you understand whether trauma therapy is right for you.
What Is Trauma And How Does It Manifest?
Trauma is a psychological, emotional, or physical response to an event or experience that is overwhelming and causes feelings of helplessness, fear, or distress. Trauma can arise following a single traumatic event, such as a car accident or natural disaster. It can also result from long-term exposure to distressing experiences, such as sexual abuse, neglect, or violence.
Life transitions, such as divorce, job loss, or the death of a loved one, can be especially difficult. People who have experienced trauma may have a wide range of complaints such as stress, depression, anxiety, relationship issues, and more. These can include:
- Flashbacks: Intrusive, vivid memories of the traumatic event that can come on suddenly and without warning
- Nightmares: Dreams or sleep disturbances that are often related to the trauma
- Intrusive thoughts: Recurrent, unwanted thoughts about the trauma that can cause distress and be difficult to control
- Hypervigilance: A state of being on constant “red alert,” in which people feel like they need to be constantly on guard for threats
- Stress and anxiety: Feelings of worry, dread, or fear that can be overwhelming and interfere with daily activities
- Depression: Feelings of sadness, emptiness, or hopelessness, and negative thoughts that can last for weeks or longer
- Isolation: Withdrawing from friends and activities that were once enjoyable
- Insomnia: Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, leading to fatigue and other problems
- Difficulty concentrating: Problems with focus, concentration, and attention that can make it impossible to work or study
- Physical symptoms: Physical manifestations that may include headaches, chest pain, or abdominal pain not caused by a physical illness or injury
- Irritability: Feeling easily annoyed or angered, often for no apparent reason
Trauma can also lead to harmful coping mechanisms, such as substance use or self-harm.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is vital to seek professional help. A therapist trained in trauma-focused therapies can help you process your experiences and begin to heal.
What Are The Symptoms Of PTSD?
PTSD, short for post-traumatic stress disorder, is a mental health condition that can arise following exposure to traumatic events. Not everyone who experiences trauma will develop PTSD. Still, it is crucial for people who have experienced trauma to be aware of the symptoms and seek help if they think they may be experiencing this debilitating condition.
To be diagnosed with PTSD, a person must have experienced all of the following symptoms for at least one month:
- Re-experiencing the event through flashbacks or nightmares
- Avoidance of anything that may remind them of the event
- Adverse changes in mood and thinking, such as feeling hopeless or feeling detached from other people
- Hyperarousal, such as trouble sleeping or feeling on edge
If you meet the criteria for a PTSD diagnosis, PTSD counseling in Marietta, GA can help you recover from this debilitating illness.
How Can Trauma Therapy Help?
While there is no one-size-fits-all approach to trauma therapy, some general principles can help manage the effects of trauma. These include:
Identifying And Expressing Emotions
Many people who have experienced trauma find it difficult to process and express their emotions. Trauma therapy can help them understand and say what they are feeling.
Improving Coping Skills
Trauma can make it difficult to cope with everyday life. Trauma therapy can help people develop coping mechanisms to deal with stressors healthily.
Trust is often broken after trauma. Trauma therapy can help people rebuild trust in themselves and others with boundary setting and communication skills.
Negative beliefs about oneself, others, and the world can develop following trauma. Trauma therapy can help people challenge and change these beliefs.
Grief is a common reaction to trauma. Trauma therapy can help people work through their grief and find a resolution that they can live with.
Self-compassion can be challenging to come by after trauma. Trauma therapy can help people be kinder to themselves and create a more positive outlook on life.
Trauma can cause various physical and mental health symptoms. Trauma therapy can help people manage these symptoms and feel better.
Trauma can strain relationships. Trauma therapy can help people repair and strengthen their relationships.
Trauma can leave people feeling lost and without purpose. Trauma therapy can help people find meaning in their lives again.
Reprocessing The Traumatic Event
Trauma therapy can also use therapeutic techniques such as EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) to help you change how your brain responds to the trauma at the biological level.
What Sets HWP Apart From Other Counselors In The Area?
Holistic Wellness Practice is unique in that we offer a holistic, person-centered approach to treating trauma in Marietta, GA. We employ various strategies depending on the needs of the individual.
We have a team of highly trained and experienced trauma-informed therapists dedicated to helping our clients heal. Our unique, integrative approach blends traditional therapeutic techniques, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), with other non-invasive, evidence-based practices like brainspotting therapy (BST) and EMDR. This approach allows us to tailor our treatment to each client’s needs and preferences.
We Are Experienced In Working With Clients Who Have Trauma And PTSD
We understand that like depression and anxiety, trauma can present in a variety of ways. We provide a safe and supportive environment for our clients to explore their experiences and learn skills to manage their symptoms.
Our goal is to help our clients heal from their trauma and live healthy and fulfilling lives. If you live in Marietta and are feeling stuck following traumatic experiences, please contact us to arrange a free consultation.